Farm kitty, Mei Mei, is delighted by the sight of this fruit and nut melody.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling dough
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water, plus 2 more, if needed
No food processors required: Use your fingers to pinch the ingredients together. Turn dough out onto a work surface; form dough into a 3/4-inch-thick disk. Wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
Separate the dough after it has chilled to make a top crust. Unwrap dough; place on a large piece of floured waxed paper. Roll dough to a 14-inch round. Gently fit into bottom and up sides of plate/baking pan. Trim overhang to 1 inch; fold overhang under itself. Pinch between thumb and forefinger to make a uniform edge around the rim. Crimp edge; refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- 3 cups of fresh sliced Apricots, plus, I threw in a juicy nectarine
- 3 heaping tablespoons of brown sugar
- Dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg (to taste, I prefer not to overwhelm the fresh fruity flavor)
- Handful of raisins any color
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup of pure cranberry juice
- Squeeze of one half of lemon or lime
- 4 tablespoons of butter sliced on top
Now blend these all together and pour them inside.
Used a butter knife for vents. Glaze the top with egg whites and bake for about 25-35 min at 425°
Sorry, we ate it so fast I forgot to take pictures. Not too sweet, so it worked for breakfast as well!
Up early in the morning. A view from my bedroom window of the hay fields.